What are common traits of an individual who bullies?
- Shows aggressive behavior toward others
- Need to dominate others
- Hot-tempered, easily angered
- Impulsive (react quickly without thinking)
What are common traits of individuals who are bullied?
- Anxious, insecure
- Low self-esteem
- Often socially isolated
- Lack social skills
How does bullying affect children?
- Feel anxious or afraid
- Impacts their ability to concentrate in school
- Can impact self-worth and/or self-esteem
- Can lead to depression later on in life
How do you help?
- If child is being bullied, report it!
- If child is bullying others, get assistance from school social worker or counselor to assess child for other issues going on (ADHD, depression, anxiety, substance abuse, etc)
- Worker can discuss exposure to violence with child who is bullying others.