Juvenile Probation

What is the difference between probation and parole?

  • PAROLE is assigned to individuals leaving a Federal or State Penitentiary (Prison or Department of Corrections.)
  • PROBATION is court-supervised freedom, if a juvenile abides by certain pre-determined conditions established in a court hearing.

My child has been referred to court services by the police, what happens next?

  • A juvenile probation officer will contact the minor and their parent/guardian once they have received the referral
  • The officer will set an appointment with the family
  • The purpose of the appointment is to gather information about the youth, family, referral offense, school/employment information, and anything else that may be relevant
  • After speaking with the youth, parent/guardian, law enforcement, and a victim (if applicable), the probation officer will make a recommendation to either send the case to court or refer the child to a diversion program

My child is truant from school, what can I do?

  • Truancy is considered a status offense.
  • Parents¬†can:
    • Contact their local school district for assistance with a local program that addresses chronic truancy.
    • The school district may make a referral to Juvenile Court if a minor is considered a chronic truant.

I received a subpoena to come to court, what do I do?

  • You will have to attend the court hearing on the scheduled date.
  • Your son/daughter will need an attorney to represent him/her.
    • If you come to the initial court hearing without an attorney, one will be appointed to him/her for that hearing.
    • If you cannot afford to hire a private attorney, you will have to fill out a financial affidavit at the court hearing.
  • The Presiding Judge will inform you at that hearing whether you will have to hire a private attorney or if the Public Defender will be appointed to represent your child. You may still be obligated to pay all or part of the fees for the Public Defender

How much do I have to pay if my child gets involved in the court process?

  • The cost of your child becoming involved in the court system depends on each individual case. The Judge determines what the family will be financially responsible for. A parent may be responsible for attorney fees, probation fees court costs, restitution, and other services, which may be ordered for your child or the family.